October 25, 2014

Connecticut River Museum Re-Opens For Annual Holiday Exhibit and Events

Essex, CT — With fire damage repair and restoration nearly complete, the Connecticut River Museum will re-open on Friday, Nov. 26 with the much anticipated 17th Annual Holiday Train Show. 

A new roof, new windows, and refurbished wood flooring original to the historic 1878 Steamboat Warehouse will enhance the third-floor setting for the family-friendly, locomotive extravaganza featuring a fully operational, HO scale layout with interactive components.  Designed by train artist Steve Cryan, the Holiday Train Show exhibit has become a popular outing for train fans and all who are young at heart.  The show runs through Feb. 13 and is sponsored by the Valley Courier. 

On Sunday, Nov. 28, the Museum will remain open until 7:00 pm to present the annual Trees in the Rigging Community Carol Sing and Boat Parade in partnership with the Essex Historical Society and the Essex Board of Trade. 

At 4:30 pm, a traditional, lantern-lit stroll will kick off at Essex Town Hall.  All are invited to join the Sailing Masters of 1812 Fife & Drum Corps, along with a parade of antique cars, as they wind down Main Street stopping to sing carols along the way.  Once the foot parade reaches the grounds of the Connecticut River Museum, a parade of festively-lit boats passes by the waterfront in review and ends with Santa and his elves arriving on one of the boats for visits with children on the Museum lawn.  First, second, and third place prizes are awarded for the best decorated boats.   The rain date is Sunday, Dec. 5.  Admission to the Train Show exhibit is reduced to $5 for all ages with children under age 6 free from 5 pm to 7 pm that evening. 

The second floor gallery will also reopen in December with a sneak preview of the exciting new exhibit The River That Connects Us, bringing to life the evolution of the River as a great resource for transportation, recreation, and inspiration.   Made possible in part by the Connecticut Humanities Council, the exhibit will illustrate the environmental impact and its importance to our heritage and to our future and include a hands-on children’s discovery trail.

The Connecticut River Museum is located at 67 Main Street, Essex and is open daily from 10 am to 5 pm, closed on Mondays.  For more information, call 860-767-8269 or go to the CRM website www.ctrivermuseum.org.