More than 40 bestselling and award-winning authors and presenters will converge at Mohegan Sun on Feb. 1-2, 2013 for The Big Book Club Getaway, which will benefit The Alzheimer’s Association.
- Yale Professor Carlos Eire, a winner of the National Book Award for Non-Fiction;
- Leeza Gibbons, iconic American talk show host, author and philanthropist;
- Brad Meltzer, #1 bestselling political suspense author and host of the History Channel TV show “Decoded;”
- Tess Gerritsen, creator of the Rizzoli & Isles series on TNT;
- Patricia Schultz, author of “1,000 Places to See Before You Die,”
and several other renowned writers and experts.
A variety of genres will be represented, including: memoir, sports, history, cooking, children’s, travel, health, mystery, romance, fiction, and non-fiction.
Guests will hear authors on the main stage and in concurrent break-out sessions, such as
- an “All Star Mystery/Suspense Panel,” including J.A. Jance, Hallie Ephron, Hank Phillippi Ryan and Tess Gerritsen;
- a panel of sex therapists from the Institute for Sexuality Education and Enlightenment on the “Fifty Shades of Grey” phenomenon;
- five Harvard Health Publication physicians discussing relationships, stress management, brain power and creativity;
- Tish Rabe, bestselling children’s book author of The Cat in the Hat Learning Library series;
- Julia Usher, Vice President of the International Association of Culinary Professionals;
- a Valentine’s romance-themed panel with Harlequin Intrigue;
- The History Press panel;
- and a sports panel moderated by Rick Wolff, host of The Sports Edge on WFAN Radio (NY) and Executive Editor of Grand Central Publishing.
Authors from Random House, Harper Collins, Simon & Schuster, Grand Central Publishing/Hachette Book Group, Penguin, Alfred A. Knopf, Workman Press, Crown, Gibbs Smith, and other leading publishers will discuss and sign their books.
Local authors will also share their work at rotating stations.
The Big Book Club Getaway is sponsored by Mohegan Sun, Chicken Soup for the Soul and CT Humanities. The event coincides with Mohegan Sun’s very popular Diva Nights program.
Chicken Soup for the Soul is celebrating its 20th anniversary in 2013; Publisher and author, Amy Newmark will speak on the power of storytelling and positive thinking, providing complimentary books for all attendees.
Discussion leaders from CT Humanities, Bank Square Books, Random House, and Reading Group Guides will lead an interactive conversation about book clubs and contemporary issues.
Kristin van Ogtrop, Managing Editor of Real Simple will talk about juggling her role at the magazine with the challenges of motherhood.
The Alzheimer’s Association will receive a portion of the proceeds from The Big Book Club Getaway. A primary objective of the event is to further awareness and education about this devastating disease, which impacts over 5.4 million Americans each year, and is the sixth leading cause of death in the United States.
Kristen Cusato, former WTNH anchorperson, and Southwest Regional Director of the Alzheimer’s Association Connecticut Chapter will emcee Friday night’s program.
UCLA neuroscientist and author of “The Alzheimer’s Prevention Program,” Gary Small, M.D., will take part in the event and explain his research; Dr. Small is a frequent expert guest on the national talk show circuit and news programs, including: The Today Show, Good Morning America, PBS, and CNN.
The Big Book Club Getaway expands upon the traditional living room book club concept where small groups of people gather together to discuss popular titles, such as works by:
- Mary McGarry Morris, “Songs in Ordinary Time,” which was made into a CBS movie;
- Erika Marks, “Little Gale Gumbo” and “The Mermaid Collector;”
- David Gillham, “City of Women;”
- Patricia Harman, “The Midwife of Hope River,”
- Susan Conley, “The Foremost Good Fortune,” a top ten reads selection by “O, The Oprah Magazine.”
The Big Book Club Share, presented by CT Humanities, will create an opportunity for a large-scale discussion.
The Big Book Club Getaway is where pop culture, brains, books and fun all come together in one interactive platform.
- Gwen Lawrence, yoga instructor for the New York Giants will lead The Big Yoga Class.
- A museum curator and professors from Yale, Harvard, UConn, NYU, UCLA, Sacred Heart, Quinnipiac, University of Hartford and University of Bridgeport will provide intellectual content.
Guests can enjoy all that Mohegan Sun has to offer such as, gaming, shopping, fine dining and spa services. The Big Book Club Boulevard will include various exhibitors, such as artists, publishers, health/beauty/ fashion retailers, and non-profit and educational agencies.
Each guest will go home with a gift bag packed full of books, Real Simple magazine, and product samples with a total value of over $50.
Visit www.thebigbookclub.org for more information and to register for the event.
News and regular updates will be posted on the event Facebook page at www.facebook.com/thebigbookclubgetaway .