CHESTER — Has it been awhile since you’ve brushed up on your driving knowledge and skills? Want the latest information to help you stay safe on the road? Sign up for an AARP SmartDriver™ Course on Tuesday, April 18 from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Chester Village West, 317 West Main Street, Chester CT 06412. Refreshments will be served.
Cost for the course, payable by checks only, is $15. Call Chester Village West by April 2 at 860.526.6800 to reserve attendance for yourself and/or a loved one.
The April 18 SmartDriver™ course at Chester Village West, to be taught by AARP driver safety instructor Cliff McGuire, will help attendees re-familiarize themselves with the current rules of the road, defensive driving techniques and how to operate their vehicle more safely in today’s challenging driving environment.
The course is designed to help participants:
- Learn research-based safety strategies that can reduce the likelihood of having a crash.
- Understand the links among the driver, vehicle, and road environment, and how this awareness encourages safer behavior.
- Learn how aging, medications, alcohol, and other health-related issues affect driving ability,
- and ways to adjust to allow for these changes.
- Increase confidence.
- Know how to drive safely when sharing the road with other road users.
- Learn the newest safety and advanced features in vehicles.
- Learn when driving may no longer be safe.
- Explore other ways to travel.
After completing the course, participants will have a greater appreciation of driving challenges and a better understanding of how to avoid potential collisions and injuring themselves or others.
Connecticut offers price reductions or discounts on auto insurance to motorists who complete the AARP Smart Driver™ Course. Upon completion of the course, participants should contact their auto insurance agent to determine if they are eligible to receive an auto insurance discount.
The AARP Smart Driver course, offered by AARP Driver Safety, is the nation’s first and largest refresher course designed specifically for drivers age 50 and older. For more than 30 years, the course has taught millions of drivers proven safety strategies so they can continue driving safely for as long as possible.
Located in historic Chester, Conn., Chester Village West gives independent-minded seniors a new way to experience retirement and live their lives to the fullest. Since it was founded more than 25 years ago, Chester Village West residents have directed and embraced active learning. Within a small community of private residences that offer convenience, companionship, service and security, Chester Village West enriches lives with a comprehensive program that enhances fitness, nutrition, active life, health and well-being.