July 2, 2022

Connecticut River Museum News

After a fire broke out on the evening of August 11 and caused severe damage to the Museum’s historic 1878 Steamboat Warehouse building and dock, staff began cleanup efforts and plans for reopening.  While the prompt response and preparedness of volunteer fire crews saved the building and all of the invaluable artifacts and treasures inside, heavy smoke and water damage did occur.  The Connecticut River Museum Fire Fund has been established to help rebuild, restore and return the museum and dock to full operation.  Donations may be mailed to: Connecticut River Museum Fire Fund, 67 Main Street, Essex, CT 06426 or made online by going to www.ctrivermuseum.org.  

 
The Museum’s Annual Family Maritime Festival has been postponed to Saturday, August 21 and will now include a special tribute to all of the firefighters who battled the blaze and minimized the damage.   River cruises aboard the Schooner Mary E are operating without interruption.
 
The exhibit galleries, now temporarily closed, will open over a staggered timeline.  The Museum gift shop and the main floor gallery should be open to the public within a week.  The Boathouse Gallery and Education Center is scheduled to reopen by mid-September while the second floor gallery, boasting a brand new exhibit, is planned to open sometime in October.  The third floor exhibit space, which experienced the most damage, will be the last to open with the 17th Annual Holiday Train Show on November 19.  
 
Jerry Roberts, Executive Director of the Connecticut River Museum comments, “We are ever grateful for the amazing efforts of firefighters from Essex, Deep River, Old Saybrook, and Westbrook and for the outpouring of support from individuals, organizations, and businesses throughout our greater community.  We promise to restore this jewel of the Connecticut River to a pristine condition that will serve many generations to come”. 
 
On behalf of the CRM Staff and Trustees, THANK YOU!
 

Jerry Roberts
Executive Director

Connecticut River Museum