November 20, 2018

Letter to the Editor: Correcting Errors in Ziobron Mailer About Needleman

To the Editor:

A mailer arrived at my house this past week that was so full of erroneous implications and information about Norm Needleman that I am compelled to publically (sic) correct some of it.

First, the truth about taxes in Essex:  in Norm’s four terms as First Selectman in Essex, taxes have remained lower than 90% of all other municipalities in the state.  And, this year the property tax rate in Essex was lowered.

Second, the truth about Norm Needleman’s salary:  when state support evaporated, he reduced his salary by 75% and donated the remaining 25% to area charities.  To call it ‘wasteful spending’ is more than misleading …it is an outright lie.

Norm Needleman is as much an “honest Abe” character as I have seen in politics.  He is totally committed to public service.  He has solved Essex’s problems with probity, ingenuity and intelligence and now he wants to bring these character traits and skills to Hartford where, by the way, he will not accept a salary.

Melissa’s Ziobron’s long-term reputation will depend on her taking a stand against  “dark money” slurs against her opponent.  I hope she does.

Sincerely,

Claire K. Matthews,
Essex.

Share

Letter to the Editor: Current Leadership is Working in Essex

To the Editor:

Let’s stay with what’s working.  Norm Needleman and Stacia Libby are doing a great job serving Essex as selectpersons.  They and their team have strengthened our financial management, keeping tight reins on the budget while enhancing services.  They are moderate and reasonable and work successfully with a broad range of people and opinions.  Unlike state and national politics Essex has been able to maintain open dialogue across party lines because our leaders act like the public servants they were elected to be. 

Let us also be good citizens and go to the polls on November 7th.  Vote for what you know has been working and then find ways to pitch in and help this town and it’s leaders to preserve the “best small town” reputation we have rightly earned.

Sincerely,

Claire Matthews,
Essex.

Share